Caramelised Baked Figs
These quantities will serve six, you can adjust as necessary. A great way to use up very ripe figs.
To make your own vanilla sugar:
Place half a vanilla bean, cut lengthwise, in a jar with caster sugar and secure the lid. Store in a cool dry place for a week or two before using.
1. Preheat oven to 220C / fan oven 200C / gas mark 7-8. Choose an oven-proof dish that can hold all the figs close together. It needs to be a bit higher than the figs themselves; this supports the figs and prevents the juices from burning.
2. Dip the figs one by one in water and roll in the vanilla sugar so that they are 'snow-covered'.
3. Arrange the figs, stalk end up, in the oven-proof dish then bake.
4. The figs can take up to about 20 minutes, but check after about 12 minutes. They are done when the sugar has disappeared and turn into a rich brown juice at the bottom of the dish.
5. Remove from oven. Cool then chill thoroughly. Serve with a dollop of clotted cream, and biscotti, if desired.
12 ripe and soft figs
Vanilla caster sugar - you can make your own (see Method) or buy it ready-made
You might need these
Vegetarian Time sensitive