Stuffed Courgette Blossoms
Enough for 8-10
1. Beat the cheeses, red pepper flakes, oregano, basil, garlic, salt and pepper until blended. Gently fill each blossom with about 2 teaspoons of the filling. Refrigerate while making the batter.
2. In a heavy skillet, heat 2 inches of oil over a medium heat.
3. While oil is heating, whisk together corn flour, flour, salt, pepper, celery salt, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, egg, and beer until
4. Carefully dip a stuffed blossom into the batter, covering the entire flower, and ease into the hot oil. Cooking only a few at a time so they are not crowded, brown each flower on one side then turn to brown the other. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining stuffed blossoms.
5. Garnish the stuffed blossoms with a sprinkling of freshly grated Parmesan cheese and chopped chives, and serve immediately.
18 courgette blossoms, stamens removed
For the cheese filling:
75g / 3 oz feta cheese
75g / 3 oz Chybucca Fresh Cornish Goats Cheese (or cream
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1 clove garlic, minced
Sea salt and freshly milled black pepper, to taste
For the beer batter:
2 tablespoons corn flour
60g / 2½ oz flour
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
You might need these
Vegetarian and Vegan