Rhubarb and Orange Cake
Delicious served warm or cold!
1. Mix the prepared rhubarb with the orange zest and 50g / 2 oz of the sugar. Set aside for about an hour, stirring once or twice. At the same time, leave the butter to stand at room temperature.
2. Preheat the oven to 190?C / gas mark 5 / 170? C fan oven. Butter and line the base of the cake tin.
3. Cream the butter and remaining caster sugar. Add the eggs, baking powder, flour and the ground almonds and beat gently, but do not overmix. Stir in the orange juice.
4. Spoon the mixture into the tin. Drain the rhubarb and scatter over the batter. Bake for 25 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the topping ingredients.
5. Reduce the oven temperature to 180?C / gas mark 4 / 160?C fan oven. Sprinkle the topping mixture over the cake and return to the oven for a further 15-20 minutes or until firm.
6. Cool in the tin then transfer to a wire rack. Dust with icing sugar and serve with a dollop of whipped cream.
350g / 12 oz rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 2.5cm / 1 inch
200g / 8 oz golden caster sugar
Finely grated zest and juice of ½ an orange
140g / 5 oz unsalted butter, softened
2 free range eggs, beaten
½ teaspoon baking powder
85g / 3 oz self-raising flour
100g / 4 oz ground almonds
For the topping:
25g / 1 oz unsalted butter, melted
25g / 1 oz light muscovado sugar
Finely grated zest of ½ an orange
50g / 2 oz flaked almonds
Icing sugar, to dust
Whipped cream, to serve
You will also need a 23cm / 9-inch round cake tin
You might need these
I already have an accountLog me on, I want to shop
This week our Best of British Box will save you over*:20%
* compared with the average cost of the equivalent products from Tesco, Asda and Sainsbury's. We check this every week with mysupermarket.co.uk and remember delivery is free, saving you even more!.order a box now >