Grilled Mackerel with Capers
1. Preheat the grill to high. With a sharp knife, slash the sides of the mackerel and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
2. Place on a grill tray and grill for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until cooked through.
3. Transfer the mackerel into a deep serving dish.
4. Cover the mackerel with the chopped tomatoes and capers.
5. Pour the mackerel juices from the grill tray over, along with the lemon juice. Set aside in a warm place.
6. Heat a frying pan until just warm. Add the oil, potatoes, peppers and garlic and stir to combine.
7. Add the white wine and simmer gently, stirring from time to time to prevent sticking, until the potatoes are cooked through and the peppers are
8. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
9. Serve the mackerel with the potatoes on the side.
2 large or 4 small mackerel, gutted
salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 very ripe tomatoes, seeds removed, chopped
50g/2oz capers in salt, rinsed and drained
1 lemon, juice only
3 tbsp olive oil
500g/1lb 2oz waxy potatoes, peeled and cut into 3cm/1¼in
1 red pepper, thinly sliced
1 yellow pepper, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
25ml/1fl oz white wine
You might need these
Vegetarian Time sensitive
Vegetarian and Vegan